LS no start when it rains - AFM ?.

I have a gremlin living in the engine of my 94 164LS. The car starts and runs
beautifully 99% of the time - except when it pours down with rain the other
1%. I leave the car outside in the driveway and generally I cover it with a
semi-waterproof cover whenever rain threatens. It will always start the next
morning and run fine. If by chance I forget to add the cover and it pours
down during the night, I can guarantee it will not start the next day - the
motor will flood. No way will the car start and I then have to wait a day or
so for it to dry out. Then the engine will start but will run extremely rough
until well warmed up - as if on four cylinders ! The interior of the engine
compartment is bone dry. The well below the windshield is dry except for the
area below the water runoff tubes for the sliding roof (some water in the
gutters up there as well). The runoff tubes in the fenders are also clear of
leaves etc. Something is sending a signal to the ecu either not to start or
not to run rich when cold and/or wet. Most tuneup parts and sensors have been
replaced and even the ecu has been cleaned and inspected. Either something is
getting damp and causing this to happen or else I suspect it might be a
problem in the AFM. Inside the gate to the AFM on the intake side there is a
small teat hanging down from the top. I have been told that this is a
temperature and dampness sensor and sends signals to the ecu to control and
enrich the mixture. Is anyone familiar with this ? So far no mechanic has
been able to diagnose or remedy this problem. Is anyone out there familiar
with AFMs, or might have any clue as to what is causing this. I have a spare
which needs repairing. Who does that ?
Graham Arlen
Oakland CA
164LS, Milano and 61 spider