Re: alfa-digest V9 #205 - Cam timing question: 2L engine

       I have reused the lock tabs.  There is also a bolt with a cotter pin
through it that keeps the cam in time.  In fact, moving the bolt is how you
change the timing on the exhaust.  Put a rag under the sprocket to prevent
dropping small parts down the front of the engine.
       The VVT intake cam is also adjustable.  All you need is a very thin 55
mm end wrench!  I made one on a mill from an old truck spring.
       Loosen the nut on the end of the VVT and the cam will turn independent
of the sprocket.  Look closely at the front of the cam and you can see the
alligator teeth that are the adjustment.
       And, yes, rolling the car forward is one way to tension the cam
chains.  A socket on the crank pulley is another.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City