'79 Spider trunk cable broken

Hi all,

I've got a problem and I hope some of you have dealt with this. On my '79
Spider, the cable that opens the trunk from the driver's side door jam has
broken somewhere, probably at the connection to the lock mechanism.

The cable remains connected but it will not pop the lid. The battery has gone
dead and it's (of course) in the trunk.

If you remove the carpeted paneling behind the seats, there are two access
holes. The one behind the passenger seat opens into the trunk, past the jack,
but reaching the lock area is difficult.

And, if I remember, the lock cannot be accessed even if you can reach it from
the access hole. This is because the lock itself is nestled down between the
inner wall of the trunk and the outer body metal.

One mechanic told me some owners actually cut a hole in the body behind the
license plate to get at the lock.

Is this the only way to get to the lock? I loath the thought of cutting into
my Spider's backside.

Any better thoughts?

George
'87 Milano, '79 Spider