Blistered lids

While I'm not sure about the late Series 3 and Series 4 Spiders, don't
believe any Alfa Spider came with sound deadening / heat insulation
padding. However Alfettas and GTV's all did (and assume Milanos also
did). Pure speculation but perhaps Alfa considered it more for sound
deadening than heat and knew a bit more 'sound' on / in a Spider might
be minor - by comparison. Or...it could be there is better cooling under
a Spider hood than on the tin tops.

I did a stupid thing eons ago and forgot to put the oil filler cap back
on my Alfetta GT. Of course the engine bay and especially the hood pad
were soaked. After removing I kept the Alfetta hood pad for possible use
as a pattern (someday) and guess it is still leaking oil.

The hood never had a problem bubbling until one dark and stormy
night...okay, it wasn't a dark and stormy night but about two years
after I re-painted the [modern two holer (windshield washer nozzle holes
- a '75 / '76 only has one - which I bought at a Pick-A-Part)] hood. I
actually painted the entire front portion of the car. I wanted a red
primer since the car is red and called DuPont and asked what they
recommended. Obviously it was one of their products. It was crap to
apply. Most primers go on like a piece of cake. Not this, it orange
peeled.

Then, as mentioned, it bubbled big time over the exhaust portion. Weird
thing, not on the inside, but on the outside. Paint store Now tells me,
"Oh that stuff's crap. DuPont came out with it just to satisfy CA regs."

Bottom line is I believe any quality modern paint will withstand the
exhaust heat from 'our' cars, but as has been pointed out, it must first
be prepped properly and don't use DuPont's red primer - sorry don't
remember name / number.

I'll be painting a car soon, possibly two, and will run my hood through
at this time. It will be stripped to bare metal (big sigh), the base
primer will be PPG's epoxy primer followed by numerous coats of PCL
sanding primer with red added. One note: The first car I'm painting will
be black. I'm using PCL's black primer. Once sanded it becomes gray, but
not as light as the epoxy primer underneath which is almost white. Works
nicely as a guide coat. Wish it stayed black after sanding though.

Did I answer the question?

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA