pinion seal replacement

Assuming I can buy,  borrow, or fabricate the special  castellated socket
and remove the dimpled retaining nut, what are the basic steps to
replacing the leaking  pinion seal on my '74 GTV ?  The repair manual I
have isn't too clear about setting pinion preload as part of this
procedure, and I would dearly love not inducing any other noises in the
differential!  Do I need parts other than the seal and the retaining nut
for this specific job?  And by the way, what's the trick for removing
said pesky retaining nut?  I made a careful preliminary effort with a
dremel tool but was afraid I'd get into the threads on the end of the
pinion splines.  I  gratefully await the sudden wave of digest wisdom--   ---
Walter Cox--- al74fa@domain.elided--- EarthLink: The #1 provider of the
Real Internet.