Re: Which battery lead to disconnect first

Alfisti,

I ordinarily wouldn't contribute to this thread (see below) but a recent
thread on another car list discussed the observation that 80% of
information on that list was wrong.  I wouldn't want that allegation to
surface here, but it's looking close.  Here's the "truth."

1)  Disconnecting the frame-connected lead (now usually negative) precludes
the possibility of accidentally short-circuiting the battery by touching
the battery's post and a metal part of the car at the same time while
disconnecting.  Such shorting causes a huge current (1000+ amperes) that
can vaporize tools/metal and burn the mechanic, including eyes if not
protected.

2)  Other than that, it doesn't make any difference.  A 12 volt circuit
cannot shock you, unless you contact an inductor (e.g., relay coil) when it
is discharging.  Even if it could, there is still 12 volts between the
negative battery terminal and the car's frame if anything at all is powered
(radio memory, etc), so this is not a factor in choosing.  There is no
difference intrinsically between pos and neg terminals that is measurable
at this kind of voltage.

3).  Letting the positive (if disconnected) battery terminal contact the
car's metal frame short-circuits any capacitor that might remain charged
(e.g., some airbag systems, power lock, seat, radio station, mirror
memories).  This would probably be of no consequence, but if the
disconnection is for a short time, not letting this happen would allow the
memories to remain; otherwise, reprogramming would be necessary.  Doesn't
happen, of course, if the neg terminal is disconnected.

Bob Wilkinson
72 Spider