Re: Help? N. Cal Spider NOT passing SMOG....any tips to fix?

Mike,
       To check the lambda (O2) sensor, peel back the rubber boot over the
green wire running to the sensor.  The connector is close to the master
cylinder.  Put a digital multimeter set to voltage  and watch the voltage as
you blip the throttle.  It should vary between ~0.3V and 0.8V.  If it does
not vary and stays at 0.5V, the O2 sensor is probably bad.
       You need an IR thermometer to read the temperature of the catalytic
convertor.  I believe the outlet should be in the 400-500F operating range
and higher than the inlet if the catalytic process is working.  (Eric - do
you care to comment?)
       Check the distributor cap, rotor, wires and spark plugs.  Replace as
needed.
       Check your compression to make sure your valves and rings are in good
shape.  A burned exhaust valve will cause you to flunk the HC test.  (By the
way, you didn't mention what the HC, CO, CO2 and O2 readings were.  I assume
what you've given us is the HC reading in ppm.)
       Check cam timing and valve clearance.
       I recommend Silicon Valley Performance in Palo Alto.  But do as much
trouble shooting as you can on your own to save money and learn about the
car.  I would be skeptical of turning over my Alfa to a shop that doesn't
know the details of the Spider L-Jet but wants $170 just to hook up a
diagnostic tool.
       By the way, the L-Jet should ace the test with numbers ~10x below the
limit if everything is in proper working order.  So you have something that's
busted.  Hopefully it's the O2 sensor or fouled plugs.  Burned valves or a
bad cat con  are obviosly more expensive.

Cheers,
Charlie