Re: Metric wheels alfa-digest V9 #169

Richard et al:

New Coke, Betamax, TRX (Tension Repartee)X, if they'd been picked up by the masses, licensed by the competition, their developers would be heroes and genuises. But market forces were against them and the competition in the second and third examples did not stand still.

Not trying to start new thread on the merits of those products (please lets not get off topic). Just pointing out Michelin was innovating to improve tire technology. If they'd changed the world . . .; but I guess it didn't need changing. It evolved another way.

All three of my Automatic Alfas have Michelin Pilot XGT's on the factory standard alloy wheels. I'll spend a good bit of money for a quality tire; but don't see the need to plus size and buy 'aftermarket' rims. Oh that's the thread about running the Alfa stock the way the factory intended (and it's compromises) vs updating the car. I'll bet one of the compromises in tire selection for the GTV-6 and the TRX was a sweetheart price from Michelin to Alfa for the system to prove its merits. One of the questions is did any other manufacturer offer / make standard a TRX package?
Lastly, I remember hearing the disgust of some Alfa owners who couldn't upgrade their tires one size. The wheels had a bad name with these folks because they felt a compulsion to second guess Alfa and Michelin.

Best Wishes,
Bernie Bennett
Brenham, TX