re: helmets

When I bought my first helmet a few years ago, I found the following web
site to be helpful:  http://www.smf.org  This is the site published by the
Snell foundation, the independent group responsible for certifying
helmets.

I'm not sure how helmets are manufactured, but I do know the shapes and
fitments vary between manufacturer so it's important to try the helmets
on. I wear a Bell helmet now and like the fit very much. My first
helmet was a Simpson but it did not fit my head very well. I'd ordered it
by phone from a distributor without trying it on.

For auto sports I highly recommend an SA (special applications) helmet
over an M (motorcycle) helmet. A couple of guys I know who ride
motorcycles use their motorcycle helmets because they're comfortable with
them. But the motorcycle helmets are designed for a different kind of
impact and do not have Nomex lining. I suppose for an open car, it might
be ok with a Nomex balaclava. Just not my personal preference. Also,
having worn both fiberglass and Kevlar helmets, I'd also recommend
forking out the extra (mine was TWICE!#$%! the price) bucks for a Kevlar
helmet if you plan to do any amount of driving. They are so much
lighter and do not create the same neck strain the heavy fiberglass
helmets do. You might also consider a foam neck brace, which I'm seeing a
lot of folks wear these days (I still haven't worn one, but I probably
should since my neck gets a little sore by the end of the day). If you get
a helmet without the face protection, you'll need to wear protective
glasses anyway, so you might as well get one with a visor. And I *believe*
the racers in the crowd will tell you for sure, that if you plan to
drive an OPEN car, you'll need a FULL face helmet. I always wear a full
face helmet just for safety's sake.

The most popular helmet brands I've heard of around here are Bell, Shoei,
Arai, and Simpson. I used to take a Racer's Wholesale catalog which
advertised G-Force, and just reading about the helmets didn't impress me
much, but YMMV. I think there are tons more brands, and I also believe
there are regional differences just due to which shops stock which
manufacturers. I think that Bells are round and squat (ha! tells you about
my head), Simpson are narrower, as are Shoei and Arai. If your chin is too
long for a Bell, you might try a Shoei. Also, check the foam padding on
the inside to see if you can remove the top pad. Good helmets have
customizable padding that you can add or remove.

Do look at the certification sticker before you purchase the helmet. Get
the newest certification (2000); don't settle for an older certification
just for a price break. Your noggin is VERY important!!! Those are my
suggestions...

Tess
Bellevue, WA, USA