GTV6 rear brakes

So why is it that the goofy rear calipers on the GTV6 can seemingly adjust themselves like any other caliper can to compensate for disc and pad wear, but I have to monkey with those adjusters to get my desired clearance initially?

The reason I ask is because when I installed new discs and pads Saturday, I adjusted them like I always do, to "a tight four thousandths" as my mechanic would say (i.e. I make it so my .004" feeler gauge is a rather snug fit). However, there was waaay too much pedal travel before the brakes did anything appreciable, so I tightened them down some more, making the .004" feeler a VERY snug fit, and I'm still not satisfied. Is this a result of my fancy new slotted discs? I'm reluctant to go to .003" but I'm going to have to make things tighter one way or another. I'm not sure if I'll be able to force the .004" feeler between the disc and pads again though, as tight as I made it last time. If I make them too tight, will they just wear down a little bit without doing too much damage?

Thanks,
Joe Elliott
'82 GTV6