Re: Exploded Spider Fan

Original message:
On Thursday, December 19, 2002, at 11:53 PM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 15:52:32 -0700
From: "Jason Arrington" <JARRINGTON@domain.elided>
Subject: Re: Exploded Spider Fan

Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 16:51:46 -0500
From: John Gallagher <gallagher41@domain.elided>
Subject: Exploded Spider Fan

No, not me, the engine fan.  Finally suffered the dreded fan
failure at about 3,000rpm in east nowhere.  Fortunately no other
damage.  Can someone recommend an electric fan conversion?
The victim is an '85 Graduate.  Thanks.
I looked into this when my fan blew, but I found that the later
Spiders
with A/C are difficult to convert, since the condenser is mounted
right
where you would normally mount the electric fan in a push
configuration.
A pull configuration (on the engine side of the radiator) was going to
be impossible without swapping out the water pump for a '90+ model.
Since my A/C works and I prefer to keep it, I finally just bought a
new
plastic fan.

If you do trash the condenser, there's a nice tech article on
AlfaCentro
with the procedure for installing a "push" electric fan.
http://www.alfacentro.com/features/fan/

Good Luck!

Jason Arrington
'87 Spider Quad

I happen to be in the process of installing an electric fan on the back side of my 78 Spider's radiator and was also about to come to the conclusion that it would not clear the water pump pulley. It will! Barely.
I bought the Perma-Cool 12" fan (part #19122). It has to be mounted all the way to the left bottom corner of the radiator. Since the water pump pulley is a little off center to the right it creates just enough offset between the two protruding nipples at the centers of each conflicting item.
I also had to do away with the foam mounting pads between the fan and radiator.
There is not much room there, maybe about 5mm.
Since I have not yet secured it down I am wondering if anyone thinks leaving the pads out on the backside will lead to problems down the road? It seems like there will still be enough tension on the zip-tie like mounting strips with the foam pads installed on the front side to prevent the fan from moving around and rubbing on the radiator core.
Also, with good motor mounts, is it likely that the engine will move fore and aft enough to contact the fan? Like maybe under hard braking? Again it is something less than a centimeter of clearance between the water pump pulley and the electric fan. Too tight?
Anyone?

Tony Martie
78 Spider
http://tmpd.net