Re: Exploded Spider Fan

Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 16:51:46 -0500
From: John Gallagher <gallagher41@domain.elided>
Subject: Exploded Spider Fan

> No, not me, the engine fan.  Finally suffered the dreded fan
> failure at about 3,000rpm in east nowhere.  Fortunately no other
> damage.  Can someone recommend an electric fan conversion?
> The victim is an '85 Graduate.  Thanks.

I looked into this when my fan blew, but I found that the later
Spiders
with A/C are difficult to convert, since the condenser is mounted
right
where you would normally mount the electric fan in a push
configuration.
A pull configuration (on the engine side of the radiator) was going to
be impossible without swapping out the water pump for a '90+ model.
Since my A/C works and I prefer to keep it, I finally just bought a
new
plastic fan.

If you do trash the condenser, there's a nice tech article on
AlfaCentro
with the procedure for installing a "push" electric fan.
http://www.alfacentro.com/features/fan/

Good Luck!

Jason Arrington
'87 Spider Quad