re: FWD excessive tire wear

Tess,

New Tires 12 months ago, and wheels aligned at that time.

16k miles covered since.

Front tires only effected, wear is inside only, like someone has took a
knife to the tires at a 45 degree angle, and cut the inside corner off,
all round.

Can't see any interference being possible with any body parts, or any
rubbing marks on any parts around.

Car is a 166 3.0V6, effectively a 164 with not so pretty body. I had 164
previously.

Car has got twitchy in last 2 weeks or so, so I knew something was up,
and I took it to get a MOT (annual UK safety) test today.

Wire is starting to show through on inside edges of tires - test failed.
Need new tires to pass, otherwise I can't drive it on UK roads!

Bears slightly to left under heaving braking. Jumps a bit around
corners. Lovely Alfa direct feel, but now a bit twitchy.

Suspension is stock.

Ticking noise coming from engine when stood still has also developed
recently - fuel injectors I think.

Can you explain more about the camber problems ? and the wear it would
cause ?

Thanks and Regards

David.

=====================================

>Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 11:54:51 -0800 (PST)

>From: Tessie McMillan <tessmc@domain.elided>

>Subject: re: FWD excessive tire wear

>David,

>Can you give a little more info, like what model of car (164?),

>what tire pressure you have, is the wear even on all 4 tires and is it

>outside only, inside only, both... and what kind of driving you do?
When

>was the car last aligned and by whom and for what purpose? Is there

>anything else wrong with the driveability of the car? How does it
behave

>under hard straight-line braking, cornering, and when you take your
hands

>off the wheel; are there any noises? Wheel bearings OK? Stock
suspension?

>Camber problems I've encountered are typically primarily on the
engine-end

>of the car, but I'll get wear all the way to the midline of the tire,
not

>just at a severe outer edge. (However, my sedan has pretty compliant

>shock towers, so maybe this is why I get more wear -- and also I use my

>street tires for the track periodically.) So I wonder if it could be

>camber, but I'd honestly expect much more wear on the front than on the

>rear if normal street driving.

>I'm curious why you are thinking of changing the toe. Personally, I
don't

>elect to increase toe-in *just* to correct a tire-wear problem if the
car