Re: California smog check statute quoted verbatim

On Fri, 20 Dec 2002 C2slayman@domain.elided wrote:
>        I wonder about the technical/legal interpretation here.  We all know
> the '75 model year Alfas in the US were just wearhoused '74 models - if I'm

This may be true for some Spiders, but not for everything.  Alfettas,
for example, were introduced into the US starting in the '75 model year.
A number of new emissions regulations also kicked in for '75, both for
California and the Federal system.  Around this time, the manufacturers
were being pretty careful with MY designations, and the cars should have
a sticker that defines what MY (and regional, in the case of California)
emissions regs the car complies with.  It's that sticker the DMV will
pay attention to.

That said, it's still possible for some latitude here.  My Berlina, which
was registered in CA as a '73, and had a build date in '73, but also
had a '74 emissions sticker.

james montebello