Re: California smog check statute quoted verbatim

  Andrew's  quote on part of  the California Smog Law -
  (6)  Prior to January 1, 2003, the motor vehicle was manufactured
prior to the 1974 model-year.

       I wonder about the technical/legal interpretation here.  We all know
the '75 model year Alfas in the US were just wearhoused '74 models - if I'm
wrong on this, I'm sure John H will set me straight.  I wonder if a '75 model
year car was MANUFACTURED in Dec '73, would it qualify as CA Smog Exempt?
Maybe not, because "manufactured prior to the 1974 model-year" might be
interpreted by the DMV as manufactured prior to June '73 (if that's when Alfa
started manufacturing '74 model year cars.)
       As Vinny Babarino (sp?) would say, "I'm so confuuuuuussssssed!"   I'm
sure what the DMV looks at is the date entered on the registration - which as
we all know from previous posts can be flawed.  So you might be able to argue
(with enough technical and manufacturing data from Alfa) that a particular
'75 model year Alfa fits under the '73 manufacturing rule.

Cheers,
Charlie
'89 Spider - it will be a cold day in "you know where" before this baby is
Smog Exempt - so I better keep it in good tune!