Re: California smog check statute quoted verbatim

James,

In a message dated 12/20/02 8:41:14 AM Central Standard Time,
jamesm@domain.elided writes:

> >        I wonder about the technical/legal interpretation here.  We all
> know
> > the '75 model year Alfas in the US were just wearhoused '74 models - if
> I'm
>
> This may be true for some Spiders, but not for everything.  Alfettas,
> for example, were introduced into the US starting in the '75 model year.
> A number of new emissions regulations also kicked in for '75, both for

Oooops!  Yes, you're right.  I was thinking in my typical Spider-centric view
of the Alfa universe.

California and the Federal system.  Around this time, the manufacturers

> were being pretty careful with MY designations, and the cars should have
> a sticker that defines what MY (and regional, in the case of California)
> emissions regs the car complies with.  It's that sticker the DMV will
> pay attention to.

Yes.  I believe there was a big jump in CA (and maybe 49-state also)
emissions requirements for '75.  My understanding is that is why Alfa
over-manufactured and wearhoused '74 Spiders.  I think they were sold on the
showroom floors as '75, but complied to the '74MY emission rules.  Does
anyone on the list with a '75MY Spider know what smog sticker they have?
(I'm not sure I even know where to look for it.  All I can find on my '89
Spider registration is 1989 - no reference to smog year.)  If that's the case
(and I could be wrong), why doesn't the '75MY Spider get the same smog
exemption as the '74MY Spider when it comes up?

That said, it's still possible for some latitude here.  My Berlina, which

> was registered in CA as a '73, and had a build date in '73, but also
> had a '74 emissions sticker.

Hmmm.... That seems backwards to me.  But then, it's strange fathoming the
whys and wherefores of how manufacturing dates get translated to model year
dates and smog year dates.  That's all an automaker/government rat's nest.
It's all pretty arbitrary (ie no industrial standards exist).  What is
absolute is what parts gets transitioned as manufacturing dates change.
That's not arbitrary (although it might not be as clear cut as us American's
tend to think due to the way Detroit used to do business.)

> james montebello

Thanks for the enlightenment.

Charlie