I've done other small cosmetic things as well, but these aren't drive-train, suspension, or brake issues and don't affect reliability or driveability. The last maintenance item I replaced on my car was the rear brake rotor and that was over a year ago. If I sold the car tomorrow, the new owner would be under no requirement to do anything to the car or spend another penny on it. Just drive it. Of course he COULD do things to it. It could use all new leather upholstery, it could do with all new suspension bushings and new ball joints -not that the ones in the car are actually bad, but let's face it, 140,000 miles isn't exactly once around the block and new ones would improve turn-in and generally crisp things up a bit. There are other things that could be done, but these are RESTORATION items not maintenance items. All in all I've got a good-looking, great sounding and good running GT sports car that one doesn't see every day. A car that's reliable and can be counted upon to start first time, every time in any weather, and has NEVER broken down on me or left me stranded. I'd say that's a pretty good endorsement for a 16-year old Italian exotic automobile.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6

On Thursday, Dec 19, 2002, at 11:47 US/Pacific, alfa-digest wrote:

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 11:41:46 -0500
From: "Brian Shorey" <bshorey@domain.elided>
Subject: RE: GTV-6 stuff...

<snip>
No matter how well taken care, any time a GTV-6 changes ownership, it
will
require at least $2,000 of additional work within the first year or
so!  When
it comes time to sell, you will get way less than what you have in it,
and the
next victim will sink even more money into it!
<snip>

Not mine.

I bought my GTV6 remotely (I'm in Mass, the car was in Florida), from
the second owner. I got comfortable enough with the guy that I sent him
a check for the full purchase price, so he could send me the title.

He bought the car with 27k miles on it, and then proceeded to face every
Alfa v6 30k issue, one by one. One head gasket, then the other, then
the timing belt broke, then the tensioner started to leak, then the
water pump...

He got *some* good advice from the local Alfa club/dealers, in that they
told him about updated head gaskets, etc, but perhaps not the most
valuable piece of advice he could have gotten - take it all apart and do
it all at once.

So, by the time he offered the car up for sale, only 4k miles later,
he'd had each head off a couple of times, and taken apart the front of
the motor quite a few times. He was totally fed up with Alfas, as far
as he was concerned they were complete pieces of crap.

I felt obliged to tell him that he'd basically just fixed everything
that was going to break for the next 30k miles, and that at 60k all he
really needed to do was take apart the front of the motor once to do the
water pump, tensioner, and timing belt, but he wouldn't listen.

I got a completely rust free car for a good price, then drove it for 30k
trouble free miles before doing the 60k service. It's been another 10k
- - 12k since then, and still the car has been completely trouble free.

Sure, I probably got the one single exception to your "every GTV6 will
need $2k worth of work done to it" rule, but I thought I'd point out
that it is possible to find one that doesn't need a pile of work right
off the bat.

bs