Re: When is one smog proof in CA?

Right this second: 1973 MY or older don't have to take the biannual test
at registration time.

There's a 30-year rolling exemption as well, which means a '74 MY
car won't have to pass the biannual test after Jan, 2004.  If they're
scheduled to take a test for registration any time in 2003, a '74 would
have to pass the test (for the last time).  For your '75, you have to take
one more test, in either 2003 or 2004, depending on whether you had to
take a test in 2001 or this past October for 2002.  After you take that
one test, you'll never have to darken the door of a smog station again
(at least not with that Alfetta).

Also, the law merely exempts you from the biannual test, not the
requirement to retain the equipment.  If, for any reason, you're inspected
later, you still have to have legal equipment on the car.  Note that
this doesn't mean it all has to be stock, it just means that anything
on the car has to be certified by CARB (there's a major procedure for
this) or OEM, and that for given models there's a list of equipment that
has to be there (for a '75 Alfetta, that means a cat, an air pump, and
"fuel injection").  Later inspections might be a road-side sniffer, a
random pull-over, whatever.

james montebello