Re: Engine studs

Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 14:01:23 -0800
From: "TJ Noto" <tj@domain.elided>
Subject: Engine studs

"I posted the message below to the list last week and didn't receive so much
as an "I have no freakin idea, Noto" so I'm wondering if it made it.
Apologies if this is a repost.......but surely someone out there has some
ideas...........

So what is the common philosophy with the studs in 1600cc engine blocks?
The last thing you want is to have studs stretching when you go to torque the
head.

Are Alfa studs known for this?  Is replacing them recommended or not?
Anyone had any experience with this?"

TJ,
The only stud I have ever seen go bad was on a 1750, and it wasn't the stud
that failed.  The stud pulled out of the block while torquing the head after a
head gasket change.  (Part of a club tech session, but that's another whole
story!)
As far as stretching the studs, all studs are designed to stretch when
properly torqued.  The damage occurs when they are over-torqued thus causing
fatigue.
Skip
67 Duetto
Norfolk Va