Re: New (to me) Spider

I would suggest performing a compression check of your own. Upon completing the check, for any cylinders that are low, put an ounce of oil in those cylinders and re-do the compression check. If the compression comes up to normal levels, the rings (or rings, piston, sleeve) are bad. If the compression remains poor, you need a valve job or a new headgasket.

As far as the Spica is concerned, go to Wes Ingram's web-site and order his book for $23. I just ordered mine! He is the authority on Spica.
Congrats on the Spider, Maurice!

As Jason says, doing the wet/dry compression test should tell you a fair amount about what's going on.

One thing.. when you get in there, try to measure the roundness and taper of the cylinders and pistons if you can.. I am told that they tend to wear oval, and if that's the case (beyond a small amount) you should just get new pistons/liners. Same if there is too much ridge at the top, that won't hone out.. can cause those rings to go sooner than they would have.

Gas in oil is not a great thing.. though it might be something else than a Spica leaking.. I thought I might have that problem with our rather badly maintained Spider, turned out mostly from bad rings, being overly rich, and the prior owners never changing the oil for God knows how long..

The suggested test to know if it's coming from the Spica, is to remove the barometric capsule plate on the top of the pump, (when you get Wes's book you'll know) and dip down into the oil inside.. if it smells of gas, you probably need a rebuild.

I may need one yet.. but after the oil change I realized things were not near as bad as I feared, mostly extremely filthy oil..

Good Luck!

Jon
77 Spider