re: Convertible top waterproofing products

Ian,
	Many years ago, I applied Thompson's water seal to an aging top on my
Spider.  It was the oil-based sealer which really smelled since I put on
2 coats.  But I did it in the summer so it quickly dried out (the stink
didn't go completely away for 2 days).  It did a great job on
waterproofing the top; I had some seams where you could see daylight
between the stitches and water would just pour down on you in a good
rain/thunderstorm.  However, it did darken the top (a sun faded black)
and it looked a bit streaky.  This was only a stop gap measure until I
replaced the top a year or so later.

	Thompson's now is a water-based sealer and I haven't tested it with any tops.

	Bruce

	'73 GTV
	'86 Spider