Convertible top waterproofing products

I've been thinking about this and I've read with interest some of the suggestions. I
cannot say for certain that DWR (durable water resistant) coatings will work, but I
happen to have a couple of different products and an aging and (as yet for me) untried
top on my '81 Spider (kit).

The DWR products are for coated "waterproof/breathable" jackets and such. I have an 8
year-old Patagonia "Storm" shell and annual cleaning and coating keeps it working
reasonably in our 100" rain/year environment. I have used a couple of different
products, Gore "ReViVeX" is next up. All my other jackets, butt-bag and rucksacks,
regardless of the pedigree of the cloth, get a coating now and then. It helps! (It
takes 7 or 8 minutes to soak through my shelled fleece jacket instead of two or three.)

I plan to lightly soak the top and dry it gently with a hair dryer. I won't be
reporting results anytime soon. I'm not so much into testing that I'd push Verena out
into the rain to see what happens. I'll wait for that to come naturally...an under her
own power.

These are widely available at outdoor and marine stores. They seem to be compatible
with a variety of fabrics and they are ment to be reapplied, i.e. there won't be a
thick coat of stuff that is a one-time application and then peeling forever. I can't
imagine them hurting paint or plastic, other than leaving a hazy residue. In fact, the
plastic window might benefit!?

REI.com or campmor.com or any of dozens of .com outdoor places would have info and
competitive pricing. FWIW...

Perry & Diana Wise & menagerie of cats, cars, & two-wheeled conveyances (3/10 Italian)
Nemah, Washington
http://mailplus.yahoo.com