Spider with Squeaky Brakes

I have a '82 Spider with very squeaky brakes. They work find but make a loud
squealing sound, and the sound just appeared out of nowhere last week. Other
than the noise, the car works great. My mechanic looked at the car and he
said I have about 60% left on my pads, but wants to charge me $85 to put the
car up, inspect and condition the pads.

I'm not cheap, but would like to learn if there may be a quick or less
expensive fix for this.

Jim Stanley

james@domain.elided