End tube without resonator

Jim,
       What were you running that the straight pipe on the rear was loud?  My
wife's 91 with stock catalyst and stock center muffler with a home build
straight pipe on the rear is almost loud enough to tell the car has an
engine.  It is entirely too quiet.
       I tend to build my own exhaust systems using pipes saved by the local
Alfa mechanic.  I cut the mufflers out and weld in mufflers of my own choice.
 The angles are augmented / aligned with sections of mandrel bent pipe.  I
like the stock resonator or catalyst on the front, a glass pack in the center
and either another glass pack at the rear or an Ansa rear section.
       I have built systems with no front resonator / cat and they tend to be
raspy.  The little front resonator seems to cut the racket a lot.
       The center muffler seems to do most of the work.  The stock part is a
straight through design - run a welding rod through the pipe if you doubt me,
but it is quiet.  Too quiet, which is why I weld in a generic glass pack.
       My 82 spider with an old Ansa "catalyst test pipe" (resonator) in
front, a straight pipe center section, and an Ansa rear is loud.  But I
figure if it makes less noise than most Harley motorcycles, then it must be
legal.  <grin>

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City