removing bushings-idea....

I was reading this and want to warn you to be careful with presses, they are great but may bend the metal part you are working with, esp. trailing arms.

It sounds crude but if you have an old ( or neighbor's {grin} ) BBQ, fire up the charcoal and then insert the end that you want to remove the bush from. The intense heat combined with the surrounding effect makes very fast work of the rubber. It will "cook" out of the sleeve. Always have a fire extinguisher ready to be safe. Clean up, (rubber is sticky and only gets on things you want to keep). Remove sleeve if needed, re-install bushing of choice and re-assemble.

AlfaBill
I can see it now, as the CA Air Quality Management Department truck pulls up to my doorstep.. ;-)

Yikes, the old brute force approach! Now does this tend to loosen the (possibly rusty and bound) sleeve? And can this "heat treatment" affect the strength of the steel part by changing the temper?

I'd hate to reduce the strength of a suspension member.. though it might need more heat then just to cook out the rubber to do that.

Jon