Re: sealing doors (moisture barrior)

Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2002 12:20:10 -0500
From: Scott Johnson <scott@domain.elided>
Subject: Sealing Doors

The PO of my current car (1971 Spider) didn't put any moisture barriers
inside the doors, and as a result the (really nice!) interior door
panels rotted. I've since aquired NOS door panels, but don't want them
to rot as well. What, exactly, should I use as a moisture barrier
between the interior panel and the inside of the door itself? Also,
what's the proper way to attach the stuff? I know from previous
experience with a different car that duct tape, for example, shrinks and
eventually loses its stickiness in the face of moisture.

NOTE: the car has been repainted, and all such existing barriers were
removed, so I don't really know where to start. I've got a home depot
less than 5 mins from my house, I just need to know what to look for.
I use standard Home Depot plastic sheeting that comes in 10'x20' roll. Avoid 2 mil "light duty" sheeting, use 4 mil, it is stronger. Use the door panel to make a pattern for a slightly smaller moisture barrier. Attach using 3M spray adhesive around the edges and contact points in the center, masking as necessary.

//kct,Powell, TN