Re: 7 inch Halogen headlights - Auto store vs. Hella

> I want to replace the non-halogen 7 inch low/high beams in my 71 Berlina.
> Just too dim for out here in the mountains.  So far my choices are
halogens
> from the local "Carquest" parts store for $10.00 a piece, or the $89.00
set
> of Hellas from IAP.  I am going to go with the parts store ones unless
there
> is a substantial difference to justify and extra $30.00 per headlight.
Can
> anyone comment?

The Hellas from IAP are the "Vision Plus" version developed for the US
market.  They'll outperform the Carquest $10 specials, but there's still
better available.  A better choice would be to get actual "E-code" Hellas,
which are similar to the lights your car would have had in Europe (your Alfa
would probably have had Carellos).  You can identify the E-code lamps by
looking at the lense, there will be an E cast in the glass, and at least
with Hella lamps, the lenses are flat, not rounded.  Check at at a local
parts store that services the European car community, or find them online --
the VW parts suppliers seem to have the best prices.  I'm sure you can find
genuine E-code lights for no more than the cost of the ones at IAP.
Carellos are available, and another option is lights from Cibie, the French
brand, but both are less widely distributed than Hella, and in my experience
will cost more.

The Hella lamps are not sealed beam.  The bulb is separate from the lense
and reflector, so if a bulb burns out, you don't replace the entire
headlight, just the bulb.  The sealed beam halogens from Carquest can't
approach the quality or quantity of light produced by a set of H4 Hellas,
even with the base 55/60 watt bulbs.  If you are willing to upgrade your
headlight wiring, you can get replacement bulbs for the Hellas that can
offer high beams of 100 watts.

If you regularly drive outside the well-lit city roads, you'll never regret
investing in good headlights.  It's a big safety improvement, and a definite
"quality of life" enhancement for your vintage car.  I have E-code Hellas in
my GTV and in my 2800 CS, as well as in our workaday Montero.

Tony