Re: 7 inch Halogen headlights - Auto store vs. Hella

On Sun, 08 Dec 2002 13:55:33 -0700 "Stephen D. Thompson" <thompsonlaw@domain.elided> wrote:

> I want to replace the non-halogen 7 inch low/high beams in my 71 Berlina.
> Just too dim for out here in the mountains.  So far my choices are
> halogens
> from the local "Carquest" parts store for $10.00 a piece, or the $89.00
> set
> of Hellas from IAP.  I am going to go with the parts store ones unless
> there
> is a substantial difference to justify and extra $30.00 per headlight.
> Can
> anyone comment?

the difference between a quality euro light like a hella or a cibie and a
generic sealed halogen is pretty substantial and if you make such a change,
will be immediately obvious. hellas are good lights, but i like the low
beam pattern of the Cibie a little better.

i got the Cibies for my 74 GTV from Dan Stern (http://lighting.mbz.org/),
along with a nice relay kit -- you really should install relays and upgrade
the wires to the headlights in any case.

richard