RE: 7 inch Halogen headlights - Auto store vs. Hella

"Stephen D. Thompson" <thompsonlaw@domain.elided> wrote:

>I want to replace the non-halogen 7 inch low/high beams in my 71 Berlina.
>Just too dim for out here in the mountains.  So far my choices are halogens
>from the local "Carquest" parts store for $10.00 a piece, or the $89.00 set
>of Hellas from IAP.  I am going to go with the parts store ones unless there
>is a substantial difference to justify and extra $30.00 per headlight.  Can
>anyone comment?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Steve
>Ketchum, Idaho
>71 Berlina
>--

Many years ago on my 74 GTV, I replaced the stock 7-inch lights with Cibie Z-beams, then replaced the fogs with Carello driving lights, this required a little rewiring with a relay.  This allowed me to have the cibie highbeam AND the carellos on at highbeam, with the capability of flashing the lows!  Quite satisfactory!  Since there was still a fog light switch I put some square Hella's on the bumper. I also put acrylic covers over the 7 inchers which look  OK and have saved the lights from rocks.
Joe Faherty
74 GTV