---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 15:20:28 -0800
From: "Baroga, Rico" <BarogaR@domain.elided>
     "Crabbe, Molly" <CrabbeM@domain.elided>, "Ray, Sharon" <RaySh@domain.elided>,
     "Kelley, Cortney" <KelleyC@domain.elided>

Ms. McMillan

Thank you for sharing your concerns with us regarding the WSDOT salt pilot
project.  In light of the relatively high number of notes/calls from
citizens regarding this matter, a standard reply has been developed to
provide additional detail about this project (see enclosure).

The concerns that you have expressed have been amongst our concerns as we
have developed this coming winter's test of salt use.  As such, we have
developed a very cautious approach to this pilot project that minimizes
potential adverse impacts yet still provides us with meaningful scientific
and management data with which we can make well-informed policy choices in
the future.  The data from this project will significantly add to the
current body of knowledge on this topic so we can make the best decisions in
the future considering all facts and costs; certainly including corrosion
costs and environmental impacts in our analysis.

If you have any further questions, comments, or would like additional
information regarding this matter, please contact me via e-mail or by
telephone at (360) 705-7864.

Rico Baroga
WSDOT Maintenance Office