Re: Smog Air Pumps..

--- Jon Pike <jhpike@domain.elided> wrote:
> Well, curiosity might have gotten the better of me
> again..
>
> I have the air pump off our 77 Spider.. turning it
> by hand makes the
> most obnoxious rubbing and scraping noises.  So I
> thought I'd take a
> look inside to see if something was
> fixable/cleanable/evaluate if it
> still is workable..

John,
     These little air pumps really take a whacking
during their life.  The inards are little more than
two little paddles with a rubber type seal against the
pump inner body..Exhaust by-products turn air into a
strong acid inside the working pump. This acid air
literally eats the insides up. I opened one up
once(destructive testing) and founs a pile of rusty
metal byproducts inside.
  If yours does not spin freely and pump air, feel
free to destruct it in order to see what is in there.
There is propally little inside that will ever do the
job again.
Howard
1977 Spider
http://mailplus.yahoo.com