Re: Innards question

--- Jon Pike <jhpike@domain.elided> wrote:
> > Car: 1971 1750 Spider, box-stock, SPICA et. al.
> 98k original miles, to
> > my knowledge engine has never been opened up for
> anything more than a
> > valve adjustment (I am the 3rd owner).
> >
> > Indications: On cold startup, noticeable blue
> smoke out of the tailpipe
> > at all RPM except idle. Smoke gradually disappears
> as car warms up, and
> > no smoke is visible under normal driving
> conditions after operating temp
> > is reached. However, when pushed hard the engine
> will still smoke at
> > high RPM. I don't have exact oil consumption, but
> it's not awful. Say 1
> > qt every 1-2k miles. Haven't looked at the plugs
> yet, I lost my good
> > spark plug socket and don't want to wreck my
> lodge's with my taiwanese one.
> >
> > I *think* this is valve guides, but I'm not sure.
>
> Hmmm... perhaps not.  Classic worn valve guides leak
> oil when there is
> engine vaccumm,  you rev up high, then go off
> throttle for a while..
> then hit it again and see a load of smoke.
>
> More continious, under load and high RPM smoke,
> might more likely be bad
> rings.
>
> What puzzles me is, you're seeing lots of smoke and
> only burning a quart
> every 1-2000 miles???

Jon,
My 1974 Spider acts just like yours. I tore down the
engine and found that the rings were loose, cylinders
were worn to their service limits and the head needed
new valves,seats guides and seals. WOW, and it just
used a quart every 1000 miles. These engines are so
neat.
Howard
1977 Spider, with 1974 engine
http://mailplus.yahoo.com