Smog Air Pumps..

Well, curiosity might have gotten the better of me again..

I have the air pump off our 77 Spider.. turning it by hand makes the most obnoxious rubbing and scraping noises. So I thought I'd take a look inside to see if something was fixable/cleanable/evaluate if it still is workable..

After a major fight with one last bolt that didn't want to go.. I discovered two pins driven from steel plate to aluminum housing.. got my new punch set out and started hammering... to discover that one needs to have the pulley off (I think) to get the parts apart.

So, lacking a large vise to hold the critter with while I try to get the big 21mm or so nut off the shaft (nope, removing the pulley isn't good enough) I quit for the evening.. hoping my separating the case 2-3mm and feeling the innards locking together rather than sliding out didn't damage it worse than it already might be.

Anyway.. wondering if any Digesti have some knowlege of these pesky air pumps.. how to tell if they are useable and where to get replacements if not. I have to put a working one on for my smog test, which is waiting till I get the engine fixed up and back together.

Interesting note.. I was surprised to see the manufacturer of the pump: Nippondenso! Unfortunately, I can only see half of the model number on the label.. Hopefully someone can supply the rest, and tell me "75-82 Toyota Celica" or some such to look for in a junkyard, if I've wrecked this one. ;-)

TIA..

Jon and Marcia
77 Spider