RE: prospective owner

IMHO, $1500 for a '79 with substantial front end damage is not cheap unless
the car is in mint condition otherwise.  Even then, it's marginally fair,
but not cheap.  Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $500 to $800 for such a
car.  Some may disagree with me, but if you shop around, I think you can do
better.  Also, I think you'd be better off getting a '71 to '74 to begin
with if you want a pre-emissions car.  In the long run, this is a much more
financially viable proposition than converting a later car to earlier specs.

Then again, if you're set on converting a later car to earlier specs, the
one you're looking at would make a more viable candidate than most.  The
reason is that you can't simply hang an early style front bumper on a later
car.  You have to replace the entire front clip.  In the rear, installing an
early stainless bumper on a later car is a bolt-on proposition.  If you
decide to go this route, you'd do well to seek out a '71 to '74 parts car
with a good front clip.

Of course, I'm sitting here telling you all this from sunny, relatively
rust-free, Houston, TX.  If you live in an area of the country where rust is
a bigger issue, you live under a set of circumstances about which I am
woefully unqualified to advise you.  On that point, if you can share with
the Digest your general location, your level of knowledge about Alfas, & a
bit more detail as to what you're looking for, we maybe able to better
advise you, especially those of us who know Spiders better than I do.

Good luck,

Michael Keith
Houston, TX
'87 Milano Gold