Re: Paint chips

  Biba,
        I am assuming you are using base coat/ clear coat paint. That "ring"
exists because you are not wet sanding enough after shooting the patch. What
I like to do is begin by sanding the repair area down a bit. For example, if
the chip is the size of a dime, wet sand an area about 2 inches across or
more with 600 and really bear down in the center, or chip area. That makes a
low spot that you will fill up with clear coat after the color is applied.
Then you can apply a lot of clear and block wet sand the bejeezus out of it
with some 600, then some 2000. If you block the repair enough, that ring will
disappear when you buff it out. I have just done such a patch on the nose of
my spider and it is invisible. Be sure to wet sand out any overspray, and
just buff the whole area.
      Randy Long

In a message dated 11/29/2002 1:59:09 PM Eastern Standard Time,