As to the cam seals and crank seals don't need to be done that often, On my engine (142000 miles) they've been replaced once. My mechanic says that they are fine. As to the belt tensioner, you couldn't be more right. Replace it EVERY TIME you change the belt, but Can$100 seems high. Valve clearance is not necessarily part of the belt change. The only things that I consider actually 'de riguer' for a cam belt change on the Alfa 12-valve six, is the belt, tensioner, water pump (the belt and water pump have similar enough 'maintenance lives' to be done at the same time. After all you are 'there' anyway), and thermostat. The rest of the stuff gets done as needed and is not really a part of the belt change since the cams are in the top of the engine.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6

On Tuesday, Nov 26, 2002, at 19:03 US/Pacific, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 18:00:16 -0700
From: C M Smith <cmsmith@domain.elided>
Subject: 164L cambelt costs

From the bill in Dec of '01:

Belt: $70, Tensioner: $180, Water Pump: $220, Camshaft seals: $31 (bet you
forgot to do yours, you'll regret that shortcut) Shortshaft seal ??? $15,
Crankshaft seal: $22, AC Belt tensioner bearing: $98 (if this puppy goes
you'll regret not putting a new one in), Valve Cover gasket kits: $ 114
(you did do the camshaft seals? and how about the valve clearances?), Spark
plug well seals: $31 (don't you do these every time you open the hood?)
Antifreeze (no point putting a brand new water pump into worn out
antifreeze): $42.

I figure parts are around CAN$823. Labour is about CAN$500 for a total of
$1323 plus our 7% GST or over $1,400.

Now what did I change at 140,000 km that I shouldn't have bothered to do?
This is the third T Belt as the factory one was swapped out at 70,000 km
under the T Belt recall plan ARDONA did when the twincams were blowing up
regularly. I did not have the water pump, AC bearing, or shaft seals done then.

Cheers

Michael Smith
White 1991 164L
Original owner