US$250
3hrs@ 92.50/hr -US$277.50
Total US$527.50

On Tuesday, Nov 26, 2002, at 10:15 US/Pacific, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 09:31:26 -0700
From: C M Smith <cmsmith@domain.elided>
Subject: FIAT cam belt design

I believe the first mass production use of rubber belt cam drives was on
the FIAT 124 when they grafted that twin cam head onto the rather
pedestrian pushrod four to create a sports car engine. Clever idea. The
main problem with cam belts is they are a consumable and people forget to
have them serviced periodically. There are lots of advantages to rubber
belt cam drives. Unfortunately, the designers of the 164 V6 (actually the
Alfa 6 V6) also forgot about serviceability of this component and made the
whole thing ridiculously expensive. You can change the cambelt on a Mazda
four in about 1.5 hours for $90 plus parts, say $200 tops. By the time you
have "done" the 164 cambelt you have spent close to $1,500 including
various parts you change "in case they fail later". All prices in Canadian
funds out here in the boonies of Western Canada.

Michael Smith
White 1991 164L
Original owner

George Graves