Super Musings

The digest is getting to where I am very reluctant to write anything, for each
time I do, someone seems to jump all over me about my passion for Alfa's.
So... here are some thoughts about Supers.

Joe Fillip has fallen in love with his car all over again. Very
understandable...its a wonderful car!

What can be said about a box on 4 wheels that hasn't already been said? After
all it is only sheet metal. So why are we so enthralled with our Alfa's? Why
are we in love with a Super?

Supers bring good prices and are readily sold when they come on the market.
Why?

I waited 32 years to get a Super and the one I have now, I had a chance to buy
25 years ago. It fell in to my lap. God is great! The car is all original and
I get the pleasure of restoring it. It is showing its age badly. All it needs
is an infusion of $$$ to make it the car I want it to be. I hope to take it to
National next summer.

A Super is a car that as Joe put it, reminds you of something you would expect
clowns to pop out of. The car has a very odd look, but that makes it
aerodynamic. The more you analyze the car, the more you understand why this is
a great car. People do look because its not something you readily recognize
and its strange shape.
The car does offer:
Great visibility
Lots of room
Great performance for a 1600
Good gas mileage
Feather light steering
Outstanding brakes
Safety!

This could be spoken of any of our Alfa's. Until you have driven a Super its
hard to explain what it is that we love about this car.

My son Ken drove his first Alfa the other day and it was my Super. He loves
the car! He is hooked on Alfa's. Reminds me of the first time I rode in a
Super, I was sold on what a great car it is.

You can only improve on what it is  by upgrading the engine, rear axle,
brakes, and suspension to make it handle and ride better. As a stand alone car
on its stock factory built attribuites,  Alfa built a great automobile.

I would have liked to have seen the Super come over with the 1750 injection
and upgraded interior. A Super is not a Berlina.  I have owned Berlinas (5)
and they are great cars, just not a Super.

Christopher Boles