Re:spica vs webers

At 4:34 PM 11/25/02, Gowin, Lawrence wrote:
>I'm a bit behind in my digests so I apologize for my late input...
>
>There was a lot of talk about carbs or specifically Webers atomizing
>fuel better than fuel injectors.  I believe this to be absolutely
>untrue.

What you believe, in this case, happens to be incorrect.

  Carburetors, including Webers, are jetted for a specific target
>setting like drivability, fuel economy, high rev performance, etc.

Precisely what one might expect to hear from someone who knows little to
nothing about truly setting up carbs such as Webers !

>Operation outside of this target band is going to be compromised.

Nonsense.

>Weber may give great atomization at a particular engine load point, but
>I cannot believe that this would be true across the board.

They moost certainly do. And FAR better atomization than nearly any
injection system gives at ANY operating point over virtually their ENTIRE
operating range.

  EFI
>(electronic fuel injection) systems if set up properly will operate
>across a much wider rev/air velocity range.

Sometimes, but not necessarily ! Good carbs, for instance, have FAR less
granularity of mixture adjustment at idle and light load than many to most
EFI systems !! Most EFI systems have a HARD time giving as much "dynamic
range" as good carbs will give !

  This idea can be extended
>to drivability as well.  While Webers can be set up for good
>drivability, a well set up EFI setup will allow for the same or more
>likely better tractability.

Close call here. BUT--no WAY EFI, right or not, can BEGIN to match the
instant throttle response that properly done Webers will give !! The
atomization factor is a big part of the why on this one.

  Carbs are no longer used by major
>manufacturers because they don't offer the same precision and tuning
>granularity as EFI.

Nonsense. Carbs, even Webers, do tend to go rich on over-run, and cannot be
made to do the low emissions at cold start thing the way EFI can, nor can
they (easily) compensate for weather or altitude.

All of which means that the mfgrs. can meet EMISSIONS rules more cheaply
with EFI , but which has little to do with the original point.

>Lawrence
>'71 GTV

Lawrence, I'm afraid you are a victim both of "marketing hype" and of
mechanics ignorant of how to REALLY make Webers perform !!

Greg