A few questions

As I tear into some repairs and maintenance on my 78 Spider I am coming across some questions I hope some of you might be able to help with.

What size is that enormous nut on the crank pulley? It's bigger than my largest socket (1 1/4") and I can't really see it to measure.
And now to really display my ignorance: Is this the best place to rotate the engine slightly (to get it in the proper position before pulling the Spica pump)?

On my new thermostat housing there is a built in rubber o-ring. Should I leave it at that and see if it seals or is there any gasket sealer that might help seal it? The surface it mounts to is a little dinged up and I have a feeling this may prevent a good seal.

I assume that big aluminum spacer behind the factory fan blades should come off somehow but so far I have had no luck. I hesitate to resort to the BFH mentality since my goals here run more towards fixing problems than causing new ones. The plastic fan is off, am I missing some other fastener besides the five bolts? I want to remove the spacer so I have enough room to install an electric puller fan to replace the original belt driven one.

Trying hard to not be a checkbook mechanic as I try to fix:
Spica oil leak, motor mount destroyed by long term Spica oil leak, replace belts, hoses and filters, install electric fan, new thermostat and probably some other stuff I haven't found yet.

Also trying to decide if I should go ahead and replace the water pump while the front of the engine is accessible. How long can they be expected to last? I have had this car for about 8 years and have never had to replace it, however I have probably only put maybe 30,000 miles on it.

Oh, one more: What is a recommended gasket sealer for things like water pumps? Or would anybody recommend any of the liquid gasket type products in place of the normal fiber gaskets?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Tony Martie
78 Spider
http://tmpd.net