Re: Newbie checks out GTV - Documents findings...

http://crystaltokyo.com/~jimc/ALFA%20Site%201/ALFA%20Seach%20Chapter%201.htm

> Your comments are welcome.
> I have some questions:
> 1) Is there a door tag/build tag or something riveted to the car somewhere
so
> that you can tell what the original paint/option codes/build dates are?  I
> know many cars (like my mustang) have one, and its absense, or the cars
spec
> deviating much from the build tag, is a big clue as to the car's
originality.

There would have been an embossed plastic or possibly stamped aluminum tag
riveted near the bottom of the rear of the driver's door frame with build
date and some other info.  I don't remember if it has the paint code.

> 2) How much info should be on the tag in the engine compartment.  This
cars
> tag only had the serial number on it - no "tipo" or anything else.

The plate you see is the "tipo" designation, not the serial number.  Henrik
all ready addressed this, but the plate in your car appears to say 10503,
which is not consistent with a 1971 GTV 1750.  If you look to the left of
the tipo plate, you'll see a number stamped in the firewall that looks like
"AR1234567" -- this is the serial number.  There should be a tag on the left
"A" pillar inside the windshield with a matching number.

If you send a nice e-mail with this number to Elvira Ruocco, the Alfa
archive person at Fiat, she can give you build date, color, engine number,
and possibly other info for the car.  Her email is elvira.ruocco@domain.elided .

Other comments --

The rubber hood seal is missing from the cowl.  The steering wheel is nice,
but not original.  The pedal covers are not original.  It may just be the
photographs, but the dash and console look pretty damn nice to me!  I'm not
bothered by the lack of a back seat, I want to do the same thing to my car.
Leaving the back seat in just perpetuates the myth that someone could
actually sit back there.  The hard closing of the doors could be caused by
fresh seals, the replacement ones seem to take a while to "shrink to fit".
The engine looks nice, have Spruell tell you if it is in good condition.
Looks like it has a header.  There should be a hose from the idle air intake
port to one of the air cleaners.  A stock airbox would be easy to find if
you want it.  I think the "C" pillar badges are the wrong color, didn't the
1750 have yellow clovers?  "Bertone" emblems are missing from the bottom of
the front fenders.  The hasty finish work in the trunk seems incongruous
with the prep of the rest of the car, why did they get lazy at that point?
You don't mention anything about suspension condition or mods, did the owner
say anything about that vis-a-vis the race prep work that was done?  How is
the trans, does it shift well, did it possibly receive lightened gears?

IIRC, you mentioned a price like $17,000 in your original email.  If that's
what is being asked for this car, my personal opinion is that is far too
much.  I don't think later GTV's are getting that kind of money even when
perfect, original and low miles.  The most valuable thing on this car is the
rust free body, everything else can be recreated, and it isn't that
expensive.  This also isn't a fully prepped race car, so the value is not
there from that angle either.  SCM lists a high value of $9500 for 70-74 GTV
1750/2000's.  I think there are probably cars out there that could justify
more, but probably not more than $12,000 unless the car is in exceptional
condition and/or has important history.

Others will likely have different opinions, but then that's why you asked,
right!

Cheers,
Tony