Re: Newbie checks out GTV - Documents findings...

Jim asked...

>Greetings again-
>After receiving a ton of helpful advice from this list, I set out to check out
>the first GTV in my search for the right car.  I documented my findings here:
>http://crystaltokyo.com/~jimc/ALFA%20Site%201/ALFA%20Seach%20Chapter%201.htm
>
>Your comments are welcome.

So what sort of GTV do you want? As is obvious to you this one is
non-original in many areas that can be seen (cage, fuel tank, interior trim,
pedals, steering wheel, gear knob, enginebay etc), and who knows about the
bits that can't be easily seen - engine internals, suspension, brakes...?
But that may be a good thing, if all you want is a good looking car that is
a hoot to drive!

I wouldn't get too hung up on what the door tag/build tag says - it doesn't
mean much at this stage of the car's life, particularly for something as
non-original as this.

By the way, I haven't ever seen one where the trunk fits properly. Doors
that are hard to close usually means that new rubbers have been fitted.

it won't ever win a concourse, but it does "appear" to be in very nice
condition, and as you say, someone has spent lots of $ (and time). My
primary questions would be:

1. What's under that nice shiny red paint? How well have the inevitable body
repairs been done, and how long ago. Besides rust, given that it looks like
it may have been raced (or someone intended to), there is a possibility of
panel damage in its past. That's where some info on its history would be
very useful - who did the bodywork/paint, and how well.

2. What does it drive like? What condition are the mechanicals in, and what
goodies are hiding underneath??

Neither of which can be answered from photos - getting someone like Paul
Spruell to inspect it seems like a really good idea.

>Hello once again - Is there anyone in the SC/NC/GA area that would be willing
>to show me their GTV 1750/2000? I really would like to see a variety of cars
>before I buy, but there arent so many around for sale to go look at.  I would
>be happy to take a bunch of digital pictures for you and make a little
>web-site to show off your car.  This will also work towards my goal of
>creating an online "buyer's guide" to GTV's.

Dunno if you seen it, but there are a few words (but no photos, I'd be happy
to add some) on what to look for when buying one at
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/1806/buyers.html

Regards,

Mark Battley
Auckland, New Zealand.