Duetto paint code

Hey All,

A friend from Montana emailed me with this query on his '67 Duetto.  Can any
of you provide any more info?  Please reply to me directly or the digest if
you prefer!

Thanks in Advance,

Steve Schaeffer
Seattle, WA
NWARC

<clip>

I have a question for you.  They are about to paint my Duetto (TWO YEARS
LATER) and the question of paint shade has come up.  If you recall, mine is
an interesting shade of (asphalt) grey.  I have written to the woman at the
archives twice to confirm "Graphite Grey 716".  The cross-reference codes
shown on those lists apply to old lacquer paint numbers.  They are trying to
computer match an Alfa grey, which is close, but not close.  I deal with
colors on buildings all the time.  I believe their computer is giving them
some contemporary Alfa mix.

Do you have any ideas for tracking down the right color?

By the way, another interesting discovery....
Under the grey and primer is a complete coat of BLUE paint (??)  They told
me, "this car was BLUE."  No, NO, said I...I have the letter from Elvira
showing it was delivered in Graphite Grey.  It would be really odd to put a
blue sanding/sealer coat on it, so it's a mystery.  Maybe the car was
sprayed blue before assembly, then an order for grey came in, and since they
didn't build many and labor was cheap, they sprayed it all grey.  The
records would show that it went out the door grey.  ??  Have you heard any
stories like that?