2 Liter Rebuild Questions

Here's a couple of dumb questions I can't find answers to in my shop manual.
I'm putting my 2-liter lower end back together.

1) I've been told the rods must go in with the stamped number on the exhaust
side, but does it matter which cylinder they go in?  They are not numbered 1
through 4.

2) Is the general consensus that sealant helps the cylinder o-rings do there
job?  Or should I just let the new o-rings handle it?

Thanks in advance!

Erik Wood
'74 GTV
'56 Giulietta Spider