Racist remarks should not be posted here, please

I think we should all draw the line at using or posting remarks that might be construed as racist. While Mongoloid is, or at least was, as correct as Caucasian, Australoid or Negroid as an Anthropological term, it has unfortunate connotations due in part to its use in connection with Down's Syndrome individuals.

It is fair to criticize Asian manufacturers for lack of originality, though it is perhaps more accurate to criticize their many customers for lack of good taste. After all, the manufacturer only builds what he can sell, and I haven't seen boatloads of unsold Asian cars on anyone's lot recently. It goes beyond the bounds of civilized discussion to suggest that some natural inferiority of the Oriental mind renders it incapable of original design. The opposite is so manifestly the case it should be embarrassing for the individual who posted that suggestion.

It takes little effort to uncover the fact that the Chinese for example lead the world in Ocean navigation, long before Europeans had any idea how to do it. They used the compass long before "we" did. They had the most powerful navies, both merchant and military for centuries as far as we know. They basically invented gunpowder and fine porcelain, which incidentally the English copied assiduously and accurately for many years. The Japanese have revolutionized manufacturing and demonstrated many times that they can perfect the production of various devices for far less than it has traditionally cost the West to do anything approaching the same quality. I believe they even invented the fax machine, but I may be wrong there.

I dislike the styling of Asian cars. I dislike the appearance of the mechanical components in those cars. However, I stop well short of opining that Asian design is somehow inherently inferior. I believe it is true that Asian cultures appreciate different esthetics in many respects. Some of their most favoured design motifs are lost on me, which I can't help thinking might be my loss, not theirs.

Then there is the really attractive Toyota 2000 roadster....

Michael Smith
White 1991 164L
Original owner