Re: transmission detent rollers

It's been some time since I put mine together but if I remember correctly
there were three detent rollers. I mean there definitely are three rods and
all of them have detents in them. As to how they work, I couldn't tell you
right now but I remember when I put everything together it was pretty
obvious what they did and I was very happy to not have any left over parts
when I finished (I hate it when that happens)

Also, I have a parts manual with the exploded view drawings and it lists (3)
under the qty column.

Paul Irvine - Antioch CA
Project Alfa - http://home.pcmagic.net/pi

original
message---------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------
Gentle Alfisti,
The 1750 transmission that came along in a box when I bought my 72 spider is
in remarkably excellent condition. The inside is clean, the mainshaft end is
unworn and the synchro rings have a new, textured appearance that is in
sharp
contrast to the worn-out rings on the later tranny that I have removed. The
two boxes are split and apart on my bench as a means for comparison. My Alfa
repair manual indicates that there are two "detent rollers" that I have
found
in the boxes "firewall" on the shifter side. These egg-shaped rollers, as
far
as I can tell, don't actually "roll", but slide back and forth inside a
drilled chase that is aligned with corrosponding grooves in the 1-2 selector
rod and the 5-R selector rod. The 3-4 selector, the one in the middle, is
holed right through. Now here's the rub: when I dissassembled the 1750
tranny, there were THREE of these rollers in the chase!  The manual only
specifies TWO. I humbly pose the question before the Digest as to how these
rollers work....It seems as if the rollers block the movement of the
selector
rods when they are displaced by the movement of another. In this
case...three
rollers in the chase would be way wrong!.