transmission detent rollers

Gentle Alfisti,
The 1750 transmission that came along in a box when I bought my 72 spider is
in remarkably excellent condition. The inside is clean, the mainshaft end is
unworn and the synchro rings have a new, textured appearance that is in sharp
contrast to the worn-out rings on the later tranny that I have removed. The
two boxes are split and apart on my bench as a means for comparison. My Alfa
repair manual indicates that there are two "detent rollers" that I have found
in the boxes "firewall" on the shifter side. These egg-shaped rollers, as far
as I can tell, don't actually "roll", but slide back and forth inside a
drilled chase that is aligned with corrosponding grooves in the 1-2 selector
rod and the 5-R selector rod. The 3-4 selector, the one in the middle, is
holed right through. Now here's the rub: when I dissassembled the 1750
tranny, there were THREE of these rollers in the chase!  The manual only
specifies TWO. I humbly pose the question before the Digest as to how these
rollers work....It seems as if the rollers block the movement of the selector
rods when they are displaced by the movement of another. In this case...three
rollers in the chase would be way wrong!.

Thanks as usual, Digest...
modelle in Somers Point.