Alfetta Master Cylinder rebuild - Help

What I thought would be a 2-3 hour job has turned into a BIG headache.

After rebuilding the ATE master cylinder, first the forward chamber would not pump and then the rear chamber started a no-pump condition as well.  By no pump , I mean that the piston is not pushing fluid out but in this case, it seems that no fluid from the reservoir is being suck in.

Took it apart 3-4 times, cleaned the cylinder,  check position of the seals, etc.  Funny thing, it seems that the forward piston is not coming back far enough to allow fluid to flow in from the reservoir hole,  Anyone else ever had this headache?

Thanks for your help.

Don
PS.