re: 67 Gear Shift

Christopher "alfadoctor" Boles wrote:
>How come a ' 67 gear shift lever goes up and down? I pulled the knob off and
>found the nut was secure.
>Is there something missing inside of it?

If you're wondering why the knob and the upper 3 inches of the shaft can
move up and down relative to the rest of the gear lever, it has to do with
the reverse lockout mechanism.  Originally, you pushed down on the knob to
get into reverse.  If you can select reverse without doing that, someone
has either disabled the mechanism or installed a later gearbox.   There are
also supposed to be two ball bearings and a spring inside the base of gear
lever to actuate the lockout mechanism.  If they're missing, the top tube
will flop around and rattle.

Dana Loomis