It's been about 20 years since I had my '67 GTV, but I recall the spring-loaded shifter knob is for the reverse lock-out mechanism. Don't you have to push the knob down to engage reverse?

Regards,

Dean

At 07:39 PM 11/9/2002, you wrote:

Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 14:43:02 -0800
From: "Christopher" <alfadoctor@domain.elided>
Subject: 67 Gear Shift

How come a ' 67 gear shift lever goes up and down? I pulled the knob off and
found the nut was secure.

What got me to digging into this was the vibration it sets up as you drive
down the road. I can pull the top of the shifter up and down about 2 inches,
but it doesn't come out.

Is there something missing inside of it? First time I have run in to this one.

Christopher Boles